Thursday, January 21, 2010

...Where No One Has Gone Before




The Green Skinned Chronicles (aka. my time in the Star Trek Online Beta)

(WARNING: MASSIVELY NERDY ROLE PLAYING TO FOLLOW)

Captain's Log:  Stardate 20100121

I receive my first assignment as the official commander of the USS Avalon, and what happens?  We can't actually embark on the assignment because Chief Engineer McDoodoopants is sitting around with his thumb stuck up his rear exhaust port.  He gave me some cock and bull story about "downtime for server maintenance" or something, but I know he's just lounging around in Club 47 with a bottle of Saurian Brandy.  It's fairly well known that McDoodoopants is a raging alcoholic.  Still, I can't blame him.  If my parents had saddled me with a last name like McDoodoopants, I would probably be hitting the booze pretty hard myself.

Of course, my life isn't all roses right now either.  There's a reason very few Orion women join Starfleet.  All the men think you're going to want to sleep with them, and all the women hate you because all the men want to sleep with you.  I've managed to get by, but mostly by keeping to myself.  Of course, it's very hard to do that when you're in command.  Still, I guess my natural traits are helping me maintain an authority presence.  This came in handy when we finally were able to ship out on our first mission.

The Admiral assigned us to locate the Azura, a vessel that had gone missing.  As we explored their last known location, we were hailed by a distress signal from the Azura herself.  The ship had come under attack by Orion raiders.  While some might imagine I would be conflicted about firing on my own people, I was raised by humans.  I never much cared for the Orion ways, and their barbaric methods and attitudes are shameful.  Needless to say, I had no hesitation on ordering the Avalon to open fire on the pirates.  We took out two of their ships and then beamed aboard the freighter.  According to the tried and true Starfleet method, I personally led the away team onto the ship.  You might question the wisdom of having the senior members of the ship going on a dangerous assignment, but I would remind you that my last away mission saw me returning as Captain because all the other senior staff were butchered by the Borg.  On the ship.  Where they were supposedly "safe".  I believe I will be leading every away mission from now on, thank you very much.

The Azura was in shambles.  Orion boarding parties had done a number on the crew, and plasma was venting everywhere, hindering our progress.  We had to deal with the plasma leaks in order to reach the warp core, which was on the verge of breaching.  Our team was able to defeat the raiders while beaming the Azura's crew to safety.  During this time, though, the Orion ships returned with a frigate.  It was a hard fought battle, but the Avalon and her crew performed admirably.  We got the captain of the Azura out of there just before the warp core breached and destroyed the ship.  Not a bad first trip, if I do say so myself.  Unfortunately, McDoodoopants decided to bust out the Romulan ale to celebrate.  Who knows when we'll be able to get underway next...?

No comments:

Post a Comment